Pages

Oct 27, 2010

Top Ten: Remakes We’d Most Like To See

What with Sonic Adventures getting the re-release treatment, and the likes of Ico and Shadow of Colossus soon to be seen in glorious HD, we at Dealspwn got rather nostalgic and began to wonder what games of old we’d most like to see resurrected on our flat screens. I’m not necessarily talking a like-for-like conversion with a fresh lick of paint, but the return of an old favourite with a brand new outlook on life.
So read on for out Top 10 Remakes We’d Most Like To See, and don’t forget to sign off in the comments and tell us what games you’d like to see resurrected!

10. Zone of the Ender



Hideo Kojima is recognised as the creator of the Metal Gear Solid series, but his best piece of work, in my opinion, is his mecha-classic, Zone of the Enders. It was my first game on the PS2, and I can quite honestly say I’ve yet to be ‘wowed’ by a game as much as ZotE. It was the little touches, like how Orbital Frame Jehuty’s feet sprayed sparks as he careened across stages. I hear Kojima is pondering a new Zone of the Enders title to occupy his next free slot as game director, and I couldn’t be more excited. Just no thirty minute cutscenes or clone sagas, please.

9. Perfect Dark


We’re ignoring Perfect Dark Zero. In fact, it’s ceased to exist, a myth relegated to the untold history of videogames. Perfect Dark was a fantastic game, and while Halo may have popularised the console FPS, I feel Rare laid the foundation. It had it all, a thrilling campaign, replete with X-ray snipers and aliens in sneakers called Elvis. Then the multiplayer, still great, even by today’s standards. Oh, but hire a new writer, as PD Zero’s dialogue almost forced to insert a pair of sewing needles into each ear-drum.

8. Star Wars: TIE Figther

In the past, Star Wars enjoyed a string of great games, and none were better, in my opinion, than TIE Fighter. I’m not even a flight-sim fan. I struggle with the controls. But TIE Fighter was great. Flipping sides to the Empire felt heretical, but deep down, we loved blowing up X-Wings. It was also quite taxing on my poor old 95′ PC, which began to shudder each time I ran the disc! Hopefully, our current crop of consoles and PCs can run an updated version.

7. Killer Instinct

If you’ve followed my writing, you might notice I’m quite the fan of Killer Instinct. I never managed to defeat Eyedol, and if I can’t find an old copy and a spare SNES, then I demand a remake! I worry, however, when I hear of a Killer Instinct reboot, courtesy of Kinect. Unless they solve the chugging lag, I’d rather see an old-school fighter with HD slick visuals. Maybe I’ll finally be able to defeat Eyedol? (I won’t. I’m awful at fighting games)

6. Quake

At the moment, we’re seeing far too many CoD clones on the online circuit. It’s all modern military and leveling up to upgrade your guns. I’m cool with Call of Duty, just not the string of pretenders. Quake, true to its name, shook up conventional multiplayer in 96′, so think of what an updated version might do? What set Quake apart was the level of freedom afforded to movement. You could jump fifty feet into the air, land neatly, all the while spraying rockets into your fellow airborne foes. Come on, id, make it so!

5. Black and White

It’s not like Fable was where it begun. Black and White was the beginning, where Peter Molyneux’s rampant imagination and irrepressible rhetoric stirred up a frenzy of anticipation for Black and White. A new Black and White, with the bigger budget Molyneux is now afforded, could be special, somewhere between Sims and Fable. Not to mention it seems ripe for Kinect functionality, a feature I’m usually not so excited by.

4. Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy might be Japan’s most popular and long-running JRPG, but Chrono Trigger might be its most loved. Directed by Hironobu Sakaguchi, who Microsoft paid millions to ignite Japanese interest in the 360, and with art duties headed up by Akira Toriyama, the creator of Dragon Ball. Chrono Trigger was a fantastic adventure, one of the truly great moments in my videogame life when I found it in a stack of games my Japanese friend, Hiroki, had hoarded in a corner of his room.

3. Grim Fandango

What has happened to LucasArts? Full Throttle, Monkey Island and, of course, Grim Fandango. Tim Schafer’s quirky tale of the afterlife was an instant classic, and the type of game we don’t often see. It’s a truly narrative-driven, dialogue-centric adventure, and lord knows we’re lacking on that front. In the maelstrom of bullets and mutants, I’d love to set eyes on Manuel “Manny” Calavera skeletal countenance again, all in glorious HD!

2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

You can’t possibly understand how disappointed I was with Skyward Sword. Twilight Princess, hell, even Wind Waker, impressed me more. So, Nintendo, I demand you placate me with an Ocarina of Time remake. It is the best game of all time. And it deserves a like-for-like remake. Don’t mess with it, just update the graphics, maybe add a little Wiimote functionality, for fishing or something, and I’ll line up and buy 10 copies!

1. Halo: Combat Evolved

What Reach succeeded in doing was reminding us just how right Bungie got it the first time. Returning to the staples of the first game, Reach was the best addition to the series since Combat Evolved. It’s yet to be topped as an FPS experience, in my opinion. It blends alien wonder with military bravado, a finely balanced combat system with genre-defining features. Rumor has it, 343 Industries, the new caretakers of the Halo series, have their first assignment; a Combat Evolved remake, courtesy of the Reach engine. Oh. Em. Gee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment