Pages

Jan 19, 2011

Madden 3DS: It's Like John Madden is Coming Right at You

Just like on TV, sports are some of the first things to go 3D.


It's rare for American gamers to get exclusives in new system launch lineups. That is, unless you like America's most popular sport that nobody else in the world cares about. That's right, I'm talking about football. And what would a new system be without a version of Madden NFL Football to keep it company?

Madden on the 3DS plays like a normal Madden game, for the most part. I'm not going to go into the rules of football, or how to play a game that has been around for two decades. Really the two things that make this game interesting are the 3D elements and the touchscreen.

The game uses a few different camera angles, and at times the 3D effects work well. It gives a sense of depth to the football field, making an end zone that's 60 yards off seem like miles. Unfortunately, most of the demo was presented from a high, almost overhead angle. I'm hoping that players can change this because otherwise the 3D is hardly even noticeable.

The graphics aren't amazing, but they're certainly better than the regular DS. It looks more like Madden 2003D (see what I did there?).

The bottom screen displays the current play. Players can have the coach automatically pick it, or choose one themselves. I really liked having that all laid out for me, letting me know what the play was, who I should hand off to, where he should run. I haven't played a Madden game on the DS in years, but I could see myself getting into this game. Never having to pull up menus to select plays or progress makes the game flow better. Granted, I saw a really short demo that lasted all of three conversions, but I'm intrigued.

EA hasn't show or said a lot about Madden NFL Football, and so far it doesn't look like they're doing a hell of a lot with the 3D portion of the 3DS. What I really want to see are the online modes, the matchmaking, the tournaments. Sports games are a multiplayer experience, and the 3DS has new tools to bring that out, so Madden better take advantage of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment